Donate to Links
Click on Links masthead to clear previous query from search box
- "all riddled with inefficiency, favouritism, arbitrariness"
20 hours 6 min ago
- The German (Not) Democratic Republic
21 hours 45 min ago
- Communications Workers Union backs NUMSA
1 day 5 hours ago
- South African nurses union backs NUMSA
1 day 6 hours ago
- Worker Hell and Stasi Paradise?
1 day 10 hours ago
- beyond Ostalgie
1 day 15 hours ago
- Defend the Independence of COSATU: Defend NUMSA: Defend Vavi
2 days 9 hours ago
- Nine COSATU Affiliated Unions on Special COSATU Central Executiv
2 days 9 hours ago
- The Sino-US climate manoeuvre
3 days 9 hours ago
- Appeal by the Peoples Council of Luhansk and Trade Federation
6 days 8 hours ago
Botswana National Front
Hugo Chavez's funeral, March 8, 2013.
[Below are statements issued by left and progressive organisations in Africa. More will be posted as they come to hand.]
* * *
Taking forward the revolutionary life and symbolism of hugo Rafael Chavez Frias
March 10, 2013 -- The Democratic Left Front (DLF) of South Africa joins the millions of poor and working people and their mass movements in Venezuela, the Caribbean, Latin America and across the world who celebrate the revolutionary and emancipatory life and symbolism of Hugo Rafael Chávez Frías. Since his tragic passing away on March 5, our hearts have drawn inspiration and courage from his example and symbolism.
As the 9 million people who attended his funeral on March 8 showed, Chavez represented and personified immense hope and possibility: hope for the wretched of the Earth, hope and faith in the ability of the mass of exploited and oppressed people to self-organise and challenge inordinate power relations in society, and thereby be their own liberators, and realistic hope in the possibility of constructing a socialist alternative to the barbarism of capitalism.