Donate to Links
Click on Links masthead to clear previous query from search box
- "Syrian rebellion"? What are you talking about?
1 day 10 hours ago
- 1 Million Angolans Learn How to Read and Write through Cuba help
2 days 17 hours ago
- Chris, China is still a
3 days 22 hours ago
- Navarre has a coalition government
4 days 10 hours ago
- Solidarity of the Romanian Left with the SYRIZA government
6 days 4 hours ago
- Solidarity from Latin America
6 days 6 hours ago
- No to austerity! say European Left
1 week 1 hour ago
- Syriza would win snap elections
1 week 13 hours ago
- A Victim of the Manichean Fallacy: Its Both
1 week 1 day ago
- Greece's Tsipras Wants a 'No' in Referendum
1 week 2 days ago
Botswana National Front
Hugo Chavez's funeral, March 8, 2013.
[Below are statements issued by left and progressive organisations in Africa. More will be posted as they come to hand.]
* * *
Taking forward the revolutionary life and symbolism of hugo Rafael Chavez Frias
March 10, 2013 -- The Democratic Left Front (DLF) of South Africa joins the millions of poor and working people and their mass movements in Venezuela, the Caribbean, Latin America and across the world who celebrate the revolutionary and emancipatory life and symbolism of Hugo Rafael Chávez Frías. Since his tragic passing away on March 5, our hearts have drawn inspiration and courage from his example and symbolism.
As the 9 million people who attended his funeral on March 8 showed, Chavez represented and personified immense hope and possibility: hope for the wretched of the Earth, hope and faith in the ability of the mass of exploited and oppressed people to self-organise and challenge inordinate power relations in society, and thereby be their own liberators, and realistic hope in the possibility of constructing a socialist alternative to the barbarism of capitalism.