the President of the Parliament, Fernando Lasama and the two
vice-Presidents of the Parliament, Vicente Guterres and Maria Paixão),
the Office of the President (received by the Chief of the Cabinet, Ms
Natalia Carrascalão), the Office of the Prime Minister (received by Ms
Elisabeth Exposto) and the F-FDTL (received by Colonel Lere).
The students will also deliver the same petition to the Court of
Appeal and the Office of the Ombudsman. The petition was presented by
Timor Leste University Students Solidarity Action (ASUTIL).
It demands the following:
1. that state institutions look into measures to decrease food prices
to allow people to have greater access to food.
2. that the President of the Republic uses his power of veto to block
the rectifiying budget because it is too high, the government is
incapable spending it appropriately, it is only going to further
benefit the powerful elite, it would lead to corruption and also lead
to greater dependency of Timor-Leste on debts when the country stops
receiving revenues from the petroleum resources. This could happen in
the very near future.
3. that the Parliament blocks the proposal on the arms law in which
article 4 is a major concern.
4. that the President and the both Vice-Presidents of the Parliament
should not change the agreement they had made with the students on the
June 12, 2008 in regards to the purchase of the luxury cars for the
parliamentarians. On this agreement they were told that only 26 cars
would be purchased for the Parliament Committees.
5. that Mariano Sabino, the Minister of Agriculture should stop making
agreements to provide land for foreign companies for sugar cane and
rubber plantations because people need this land for food production.
6. that the President meets the students to hold talks on scholarships
which should have taken place on February 11, 2008 (the date of the
assassination attempt on the President).
7. that government should resolve the issue of Internally Displaced
People to avoid having refugees in our own country.
A peace march will be organized to defend people's rights if the
students' demands are not met.
Action Coordinator: Santiago Ximenes Vaz "Kilikai Mata"
Spokesperson: Marcos Guterres Gusmão "Auraga"
Dili, 7 July 2008
Contact: +670 737 9007
See updated report on the Timorese students' campaign at: